Seeing an electric car Toyota 2000GT

Covering the Detroit Auto Show reinforced my belief that older cars are generally cooler than new ones. Oh, there were plenty of exciting new concepts and debuts at the Motor City, as the new Corvette and NSX concept. I also sit on my first Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, which was absolutely sick. But walk the track Cobo Hall, I found myself wishing some of these companies transport their historic cars we ogle too.
I did get a very pleasant surprise when I found one of my favorite cars in person for the first time. But when I researched more, it was a very bittersweet experience. More bitter than sweet, actually.
I'm talking about the Toyota 2000GT which became an electric vehicle. I'll give you a moment to let the shock set in.
Okay, ready now? The 2000GT EV is nothing new. It has been around for at least a year, and was at the Goodwood Festival of Speed ​​last year. It is the result of the Toyota Automobile Association "Crazy Car Project," in which the standard 2.0-liter DOHC Yamaha engine has been swapped for an electric motor with integrated solar panels on the hood.
The first time I realized I was up in Detroit when an escalator from the media center for the living room, and saw in the distance - that was one hell of a crazy paint job, but its shape was unmistakable.
"Holy Shitballs, guys, I think that's a 2000GT!" I exclaimed with some fellow auto journalists around me, who nodded and turned to whisper to each other about how websites are just a fad.
But the 2000GT meant something to me. As rag in their boring-ass beigemobiles, I consider myself a kind Toyota. My family had a lot of them growing up, including a seriously cool Cressida wagon. I used to covet the Supra and MR-2 when they were close, and I am an advocate of the FR-S now.
And the 2000GT is undoubtedly the king of all Toyotas. No, there is nothing to discuss - what Toyota commanded more respect and admiration for this car? The 2000GT debuted with a bang at the 1965 Tokyo Motor Show and "boldly declared that the Japanese auto industry had come" as Japanese Nostalgic Car so eloquently puts it.
Yes, the general form is a type of fraud Japanese Jaguar E-Type, but it looks great in its own right. And if you're going to start an existing sports car design, you can do a lot worse than the E-Type.
The car spun around famous James Bond star Sean Connery behind the wheel in 1967's You Only Live Twice. Only about 350 were ever made. They reach very high prices at auction today. Clearly, the Toyota 2000GT is still special for many people. I can not say which is my absolute favorite, all-time dream car, but it is one that I have always admired and wanted to see in person.
So I was thrilled when I finally got my chance in Detroit, but it was not at all what I expected. I can not really describe the spiritual kick in the balls I felt when I saw this thing. I support electric cars and solar panels run on deck is a great idea - but could not you have chosen something else, anything else, because the donor car? Anything else besides a Toyota 2000GT, an iconic sports car that is quite rare? I feel like I ruined a car that really does not have to come.
How I can describe how this regard? Keith Barry over at Wired called "Solar-Powered Sacrilege", and I'd say it's pretty sharp.
It was like losing my virginity, but getting an STD in the process.
It was like meeting the Dalai Lama, but then punches him in the throat and tells him to get a real job.
It was like seeing your best friend for the first time in years, along with the girl who grew up with and still carry a torch for, and discover that we are committed.
I mean, an electrical 2000GT. Jesus. Come on, man.
The least he deserves a car EV conversion in his book?

No comments:

Post a Comment